Nigerian newspapers were quick to respond to the killing of the third term bid on the floor of the Senate. All of them thought the extension plot was a bad idea that died an appropriate death. Some questioned the democratic credentials of the President and his men. Even Obasanjo had something to say. Here are selected reports:

Vanguard:
"The President’s (Obasanjo) constant references to his democratic credentials are dented by the events that ran through the proposed constitution amendments, among them intimidation of opponents by suspected agents of the government. At the National Assembly-organised zonal hearings, anyone suspected of harbouring opposing views was shut out. In some cases, security agencies vented their spleen on them. The President could have intervened. He did not."

Daily Independent:
"The people matter so little, if at all, or else, how can the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) insist on going ahead with the tenure elongation scheme even when it was clear that more than 95 per cent of Nigerians were against it? Because they are able still to impose candidates on the people irrespective of their electoral choices and votes, they can also afford to ride roughshod on them and get away with it."

Punch:
"No doubt, the nation’s democratic credentials have suffered severe setbacks in the last one year, especially by the inordinate pursuit of the botched third term agenda. All patriotic efforts to give the nation a workable Constitution were sacrificed for a selfish tenure elongation agenda. In addition, latching on the bnoxious Public Order Act, the Police and security agencies were let loose on rominent Nigerians who opposed the plot. Without an immediate hope of securing justice through democratic instruments, the mounting restiveness in the Niger Delta is gradually being allowed to degenerate into terrorism."
Tribune:
"Though we understand the fact that the military wrecked the economy, seven years is long enough to make appreciable impact on the lives of the people. After all, no administration made as much money as the current government. With 17 trillion naira in the federation account in seven years of democracy, there is no justification for the untold hardship Nigerians are currently going through."

Soyinka:
“Part of the frustration of Nigerians, in addition to the lack of fulfilment in every facet, is a deep-seated sense of hurt about the quality of leadership in Nigeria. The average Nigerian thinks — how do you expect me to stay in a place here someone like this is not only in charge of the nation, but actually thinks that he alone is entitled to rule the country? And so, it’s a really serious issue; it has consequences beyond the immediate issue of power. And how do we combat the situation? Well, I think we have to decide that it is time to take a stand. It is time to take a stand. I know we decided this in the past; during Babangida’s time, yes. We decided it during Shagari’s time, and we also decided to take a stand during the Abacha regime. But I think that we really, really, really have to decide that enough is enough, and that this situation has got to stop. Even if it means moving into a high gear of resistance, I think we have to solve this really serious problem, once and for all.”
Obasanjo:
We must, as Nigerians, transcend old, non-functional, even discredited basis of power arrangements and permutations that led us no where other than spreading hatred, suspicion, inefficiency, corruption, and the contamination of progressive conduct and values.”

twitterfacebook twitter google