FORMER Head of State, Gen. Yakubu Gowon (rtd), himself a former military officer, has warned Nigerians against  accepting the recycling of  former military rulers in the leadership of the country.

The erstwhile number one citizen also urged Nigerians to look beyond ethnic and geographical affiliations in electing their next President.

Gowon spoke in Lagos at a press conference organised to sensitise the public to a 10-million soul prayer rally, being put together by Nigeria Prays, a Christian programme established 10 years ago by General Gowon.

The ex-military ruler also urged Nigerians to defend democracy by ensuring that there is a smooth political transition from one democratically elected president to another.

"The current president is from the South-West. But if you look at his election, majority of those who voted him were the northerners and people from other parts of the country and not the South-West people. So, it could be anybody. Nigerians have the final say in the election of the person who becomes their next president.

"I believe that anyone who is interested must be given the chance, be he from South-South, South-East, North-West, North-East and even from the Middle Belt. We must work towards getting the ideal. This ideal means that even if it is another Yoruba man who wants to come and Nigerians believe in him, why not.

"Anybody has the right to make the claim, but it is the party that will make the choice. That is when we will have the opportunity to choose among the numerous people that will be presented to us," Gowon said.

Cautioning against the return of those who have ruled the country in the past, he said: "I don't believe that those of us who have done it before should come back. That is my personal point of view.

"But anyone who is elected as president must be supported by all of us. That is the way it should be. I hope it will be free and I hope and pray that it will be fair. Whoever emerges as our leader must know that it is a call to service and the service of the fatherland," he stated.

The proposed 10-million soul prayer rally, Gowon said, would hold between July 28 and 29, 2006 at the Redeemed Christian Church of God camp on Lagos-Ibadan Expressway.

"The 10-million soul prayer rally is a vision and burden conceived by Nigeria Prays and America World-wide Chaplaincy Association (AWCA), South Korea headquarters to join hands with Nigeria to mobilise 10 million praying Christians nationwide who will stand in the gap and pray for peace in Nigeria, Africa, Asia, Korea, Middle East, Europe, U.S.A. and the world in particular. Particular emphasis will be laid on the flash points and nations that have been ravaged by war, hunger, national and man-made disasters and other unwholesome acts. Hence, the theme for this rally is 'Stand before me in the gap and occupy till I come.'

"The prayer rally is a call for personal and national involvement and a battle cry for revival. It is a call to bear responsibility for revival and restoration on our continent."

twitterfacebook twitter google