A new group comprising governors, ministers and legislators are working with the Presidency on a paradigm shift  from the “old school” system, where the likes of Generals Ibrahim Babangida and Muhammadu Buhari would be taken out of the political equation for 2007.

A new twist may have occurred in the political camp of President Olusegun Obasanjo over who succeeds him in 2007 as some state governors, ministers and federal legislators loyal to him and who supported the failed third term project have asked him to look towards what they called the “new school” in picking his successor.

Unfolding the agenda of the group to newsmen weekend, one of the governors at the forefront of the generational change said the search of his group has no ethnic or geographical inclination.

“Our dichotomy is on generational change not on north or south,” pointing out that the target is to pick a candidate that will fit into the modern system so that Nigeria will not be left behind in the emerging global changes.

THISDAY gathered that though the group did not present any particular candidate to President Obasanjo when they met him, they however made it clear to him that their preference will be on knowledgeable person under 55 years of age.

The governor said though the President has also not been too keen on handing over to a younger person, he could not resist the pressure as the group comprises mostly those who funded and openly supported the failed third term project.

The President was said to have expressed reservation on the possibility of such young person holding the unity of the country because of exuberance but was reminded that all great leaders including himself made the difference as Nigerian leaders when they were at that age bracket, naming Generals Babangida and Muhammadu Buhari, Yakubu Gowon as well as former President Shehu Shagari.

But according to information, Obasanjo told them that the situation is not the same today as there are more problems today threatening national stability than the periods these people led the country.

However, another source at the Presidency told THISDAY that another fear which the President did not disclose to the advocates of generational change was the possibility of such a person enjoying enough national character to withstand the so called “old school” persons at the polls.

Since May when the tenure elongation project of President Obasanjo was thrown out by the National Assembly, a lot of political permutations have been going within the seat of power to get a credible successor.

First was the idea of picking from among the serving PDP governors, another was considering former military President Babangida or former National Security Adviser Major General (rtd) Aliyu Mohammed Gusau.

The option of the former Internal Affairs Minister under late General Sani Abacha and late M.K.O Abiola’s running-mate in the June 12 Presidential Election, Ambassador Babagana Kingibe and former Lagos state Military Administrator Brig. General Buba Marwa were also at a point being put on the card by Aso Rock.

THISDAY gathered that at least 13 persons have so far indicated their interest to contest for the exalted office under the ruling PDP among them are General Babangida, Brig General Marwa and former Political Adviser to Obasanjo, Prof Jerry Gana and 10 PDP state Governors, six from the south and four from the North.

From the south are Victor Attah (Akwa Ibom), Donald Duke (Cross Rivers), Sam Egwu (Ebonyi), Orji Kalu (Abia), Achike Udenwa (Imo), and Peter Odili (River) while those from the north are Adamu Muazu (Bauchi), Abdulahi Adamu (Nassarawa), Ahmad Makarfi (Kaduna) and the new joiner to the party Saminiu Turaki (Jigawa).

Meanwhile, Vice-President Atiku Abubakar yesterday said there was what he called a political alliance between him and former Head of State, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (rtd.) as well as former Military President Ibrahim Babangida.

The Vice President told newsmen yesterday at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport shortly after he arrived from a three-week vacation in the United States, that he decided to team up with the two former military rulers so as to strengthen the country’s democracy. Atiku explained that the alliance would, however, not affect the individual presidential ambitions of both Buhari and Babangida.

He reiterated that the enemies of democracy were still at work and that it was necessary for all progressive politicians in the country to continue to collaborate.

He said, “My accord with Buhari and Babangida is based on my believe that all politicians should work together to strengthen our democracy. In that context, I am working with all politicians to strengthen our democracy.

“We are just collaborating so our democracy does not crumble. If democracy collapses today, no politician will be able to aspire to any office.

So we must put aside our differences so we can confront the enemies of democracy. If the enemies of democracy are forging alliances and working together, why must those of us who wants democracy to survive in our country not work together?

“That we are working together to strengthen democracy does not affect our individual ambition to be president”, he said.

Asked whether his relationship with the two former leaders might result in an alliance for the 2007 election, Abubakar said, “I can’t say for now. But we will see how events unfold.”

Regarding speculations that he would soon dump the Peoples Democratic Party for the Advanced Congress of Democrats, the vice president simply said, “As far as I am concerned, I am still in the PDP. You wait and see what unfolds in the next few months.”

He, however, said with his arrival, his presidential campaign would gain a new momentum.

He also debunked insinuations that he disobeyed President Obasanjo by boycotting the last Nigeria Economic Forum and staying in the United States beyond the period granted him by the president.

He said “I did not overstay in the US. The period of time I spent is actually the leave that was approved for me by the president so I did not in anyway extend my stay” and regarding the Nigerian Economic Forum, “I requested to be exempted from the programme and the president exempted me.”

twitterfacebook twitter google