The overpowering wave of retired generals seeking presidential power has sent another surge, as former minister of works, General Mamman Kontagora, sets himself  for a collision with his former boss, Ibrahim Babangida, with the two seeking the ticket of the PDP from the same Niger State.

Kontagora addressed his supporters in Minna at the weekend while he commissioned his campaign office for the state. He said was prepared to go all the hurdles in his quest for the PDP Presidential ticket as well as the mandate of the people of this country at the next general and presidential elections.

Debunking reports that he was fronting for an undisclosed presidential aspirant, Kontagora also denied planning to drop his presidential ambition. According to the former Minister, I have heard some people saying that I was fronting for somebody. I pity those people, because since January this year I have declared my ambition to contest position.

For those who know me, for those who have had contact with me, they will know that once I say a thing, it is not just a fact but the truth. Whatever I say is final and I am not used to changing my mind just like that. We are in the race, irrespective of pressure, we will prosecute our ambition to a logical conclusion, he maintained.

Decked in his usual jacket suit, Kontagora told the crowd that gathered at his campaign head quarters that he chose Minna to come and reaffirm his aspiration to serve as a signal to those doubting his decision to contest.

"I am pleased to inform you that I am still in the race. I will not surrender to anybody. I am not fronting for anybody. At my age, my background and intellect, I can not surrender to anybody, "he declared.

Speaking to newsmen after the commissioning of his campaign the presidential hopeful said he was aware of the endorsement of any of the three presidential aspirants from the state by the party's leadership, saying, "I have not heard that. If you (newsmen) have such endorsement, please publish it and I will react to it.â-?

He further said that despite the development in the party at the state level, he was committed to actualizing his aspiration in the ruling PDP. "I am a PDP man, I will contest the presidency of this country from within the PDP. That is why all my posters and campaign materials have both the name and logo of Earlier the state coordinator for the "Movement for Positive Changeâ-?, the campaign organ of General Kontagora, Mr Paul Sokoma called on their principal to publicly make his intention known, stressing that many people are clamoring for his reliable leadership.

Penultimate Wednesday the central working committee of the PDP in Niger state at a crucial meeting in Minna, endorsed the presidential aspiration of former military leader, General Ibrahim Babangida as the state candidate. The party's leadership has since last Monday began local government mobilization for their candidate.

Addressing Journalists after their meeting the state secretary of the party, Barrister Tanko Beji while disclosing the decision to endorse Babangida also said that nobody in the party can stop both General Kontagora and Professor Jerry Gana from aspiring any elective office in the country.

twitterfacebook twitter google