Stung from every corner, former dictator, General Ibrahim Babangida turned back journalists from his birthday party, even as he alleged, probably for the first time in his public life, being victimized.
Babangida shunned newsmen after several hours of waiting at his 65th birthday in Minna, Niger State.

He was billed to grant interview to journalists as part of activities marking his 65th birthday: The former Head of State had been in the eye of the storm, following the arrest of his son, Mohammed in connection with a business deal.

AS important  personalities trooped to the hill top mansion of the former President Babangida to felicitate with him as he marked his 65th birthday yesterday, most of them stopped over to read the message  ''Indeed they are plotting a plot but I am planning a plan,” boldly written in Arabic and translated into English pasted at the major entrance to his sitting room and shook their heads as they took their seats.

Former Military Administrator of Niger State, Col. Habibu Shuaibu who is also the Chief of Staff to the former President welcomed well wishers who had stormed the residence  of the Babangidas as early as 8.00 a.m to celebrate with them.
Col. Shuaibu in his address called on Nigerians not to be deterred by the negative signals in recent times to the former President saying, “they are our detractors who see nothing good in us.”

Apparently speaking in line with the message already pasted at the door which is on the recent arrest of the son of the former president Alhaji Mohammed Babangida, Col. Shuaibu said, “I want to call on Nigerians not to be discouraged and we should expect more of this from our detractors but In -Sha -Allah, they will not succeed”.

The planned media session put together by the Special Adviser on Media to Governor Kure, Alhaji Mahmud Abdullahi suffered a set-back when news of the death of the son of Peoples Democratic Patrty (PDP) Secretary in Niger State was broken to Governor Kure before the end of a closed door meeting with some select dignitaries.

Although after the cutting of the birthday cake, IBB had told a group of camera men that his birthday wish was that, "I gladly wish myself good health, long life and wisdom to always do the right thing at the appropriate time."

On his presidential ambition, he said, "I am still studying the situation. I will declare at the appropriate time when Almighty destined it to take place"

Daily Champion reliably gathered that  IBB had been advised by some political associates not to talk with the press especially with the recent development in his family.

However, in one of the canopy provided for guests at the residence was a printed inscription boldly and strategically hung which reads, "Indeed, they are plotting a plot. But I am planning a plan-Suratul Tariq V15, 1".

The activities for the celebration which began at about 10:50am with prayers from different Islamic scholars for good health, long life and guidance in all his endeavour lasted for an hour. After the special prayer for the celebrant and his family, a close friend to IBB, Alhaji Umaru Ndanusa took over charge of the occasion with cutting of the birthday cake.

The various sponsored groups present at the occasion then took over the entire proceeding, slogans like Nigeria Sai baba, IBB mu ke so meaning "Nigeria for Baba, "IBB is our choice."
At about 12:08pm, IBB and Governor Kure, former Anambra State Governor, Dr. Chinwoke Mbadinuju took a walk round the compound to express pleasantries with the guests and supporters struggling to be identified and recognised by the celebrant.

The occasion was attended by top retired military officers.

twitterfacebook twitter google