Nobel Laureate, Professor Wole Soyinka, reviewed, weekend, the current political developments in the country and returned this verdict: “We are in grave danger.”

Prof. Soyinka, speaking to reporters at the maiden Benin Bronze Exhibition, in Benin, Edo State said Nigeria was passing through “one of the worst periods in our existence in the struggle for democracy.” 

His words: “Let me just say that it is always a relief to look at artworks instead of being bombarded by the ugly faces and some of the actions of our so-called rulers. It is indeed a spiritual tonic, just for a change even if it is for a few hours. So, that is why I will not bother to comment on what is happening in Nigeria today.

“But if you people don’t watch out, you will find that you have a set back for 50 years in terms of democratic struggles. This is one of the worst periods in our existence in the struggle for democracy.

“The courts have been disobeyed. The constitution subverted. Nobody says people shouldn’t go after criminals, thieves and corrupt people. We are all agreed on this. But if the methodology flouts the constitution of the land or the law or the methods being used, then we are in grave danger.

“What is used against the felons today will be used against the innocent tomorrow. All I want to say right now about the situation in the country is that democracy is being fouled up in a way that it is of enormous danger to future generations.”

twitterfacebook twitter google