Former military dictator, Gen. Ibrahim Babangida, has  foreclosed any possibility of contesting future  presidential elections. He said age has put him at a disadvantaged position. .

Babangida, who spoke to journalists in Minna yesterday shortly after casting his vote at his Sabon Gari ward  said he would have clocked 70 by the time another presidential elections will be held in the country.

Asked if he was keeping his presidential ambition alive, the former military president said: " I am not young like you. I am 66. By the next presidential election, I will be 70 and you don't expect me to be running around for elections that time".

Babangida who voted at about 11.40 a.m. along with his wife Maryam and children, Mohammed and Aisha, called on the contestants to accept whatever is the outcome of the elections for democracy to thrive.

"Elections, like a game in which there has to be winners and losers, the losers should be accommodating and magnanimous in defeat while the winners must also be magnanimous in victory", he advised.

Commenting on the reported bombing in some parts of Bayelsa state yesterday, he cautioned Nigerians to avoid any act that could truncate the ongoing transition and give peace a chance.

He said that the act was undemocratic and alien to Nigeria and should be discouraged and despised by all well meaning citizens.

Also speaking shortly after voting, former  Head of State, Gen. Abdulsalami Abubakar  said he was happy that elections were being conducted and people came out to cast their votes without molestation.
Abubakar, who also voted along with his wife Justice Fati and son, Isa, expressed the hope that the elections will be peaceful across the country.
He advised that the results should be accepted by Nigerians without any breach to the security of the country. 

twitterfacebook twitter google