Even the Babangida Camp does not want David Mark as the Senate President. Foremost Babangida loyalist,  Shuaibu Badeggi, condemned the PDP’s nomination of David Mark as the new Senate president, saying the retired General single-handedly intimidated Babangida into annulling the June 12, 1993 election. Badeggi described the PDP’s choice of David Mark as the highest level of insensitivity.

“David Mark is one man, who never believes in democracy. He is an opportunist. He did not hide his support for the third term agenda. People like that have no business being in the Senate not to talk of being Senate president.

“It is on record that this same Mark harassed Babangida and forced him to annual the June 12 election in1993 won by the late Chief M.K.O. Abiola in 1993.

"These forces of anti-democracy must not be allowed to polute our democracy for us,” Badeggi said.
He called on the Senate to consider electing Hajiya Zaynab Kure, representing Niger South Senatorial District as Senate president

“What I am saying in essence is that, this woman is untainted. For eight years as First Lady in Niger State, she turned the youths, through her Youth Empowerment Scheme (Project YES), of the state into job creators from their former state of joblessness and aimless wandering. She is one senator I know will listen to his colleagues and the ordinary Nigerian. The way Mrs. Pellocy of the American Congress has carried on is indicative that our Senate can have the same in Hajiya Zaynab Kure,” he stated.

On the botched Babangida presidential aspiration, Badeggi lamented that Babangida was denied the opportunity to lead the country.

“If Babangida had contested, this talk of rigging or no rigging would not have taken place. He would have won convincingly, considering his acceptability across the country.
I believe Niger State should be compensated with the election of Hajiya Kure as Senate president,” he added.

Badeggi called on the PDP not to interfere in the day to day running of the administration of President Umaru Musa Yar’Adua.

“All over the world, after election, the party goes into the background, allowing those elected to do what they were elected to do. PDP should acknowledge the fact that Nigeria is a multi-party state and the running of government should not be a PDP affair. The party should slow down.” Badeggi admonished.

twitterfacebook twitter google