Activist former military officer, Col. Abubakar Dangiwa Umar, says it is a great error for Professor Humphrey Nwosu to exonerate former dictator, Ibrahim Babangida, of blame over the annulment of the June 12 election, pointing out that Babangida presided over the entire machinery of governance during the period and could not be absolved of blame over the annulment that happened under his watch.

Although he acknowledged that he wrote the foreword to Nwosu’s book, Umar, a Kebbi prince who stoutly supported efforts to validate June 12, stated that he did not attend the book presentation after carefully weighing the consequences.

“All I did was to write the foreword and acknowledge that NEC under him (Nwosu) conducted one of the freest and fairest elections ever. I wrote the foreword. I was invited but I could not come because I have my own constituency. There were people that we stood by one another during the June 12 crises, and I do not want to disappoint them.

“I’m writing my own book because I have my own constituency. If I was seen in that kind of congregation, it could be misinterpreted that I was supporting everything he (Nwosu) wrote. So I asked him to excuse me because all those that stood with me against the annulment will be disappointed if I partake in everything,” Umar said.

Col. Umar, has vowed to expose the real military officers and their civilian collaborators behind the annulment.

click to expand image He said he was already putting together a more factual account on the innocuous activities of hawks behind the intrigues that climaxed in the cancellation of the poll in 1993.

He added that the account of the former lecturer was fraught with inadequate facts on what happened after Nigerians had cast their votes in the election regarded as the freest in the country.

Umar, who spoke to SUNDAY PUNCH on Thursday in Abuja, against the background of the public outrage that trailed Nwosu’s book, questioned the account given by the former National Electoral Commission Chairman particularly for exonerating former military president, Gen. Ibrahim Babangida, from culpability in the annulment.

There was public anger at the venue of the presentation of the book, just as it attracted widespread condemnation from the broad spectrum of the society.

While many described the book as a public relations gimmick, as it was meant to launder the image of Babangida, others saw the publication as lacking depth and precision on the chain of events surrounding the annulment.

Apart from absolving the former military leader of blames, Nwosu failed to provide an insight into the drama and forces that forced him to suspend further release of the results midway in 1993.

Though Nwosu reaffirmed the general belief that the late Chief MKO Abiola won the election, Umar said he would provide convincing proof on the clandestine moves made by the clique that comprised some top military brass and civilians who worked to ensure the criminal annulment.

He said the military officers in the clique presented double face as they worked assiduously to frustrate the popular will of te people expressed at the poll.

Giving an insight into the lively contents of his book, Umar said he would present hard facts and clearer perspectives on how top persons within the military scuttled June 12 through narrow-minded but determined intrigues.

“There were top persons in the military who were playing a double game. That is why my own book must be different because I intend to publish more details, more facts. I am happy that some of our past leaders are still around.

“What shocked me most was the statement they made a few days ago that Abacha was a good man and that he did not steal. I am sure that you saw my reaction on that,” Col. Umar stated.

Nwosu’s book is entitled, Laying the Foundation for Nigeria’s Democracy: My Account of June 12, 1993 Presidential Election and its Annulment.

twitterfacebook twitter google