The Presiding Bishop of The Redeemed Evangelical Mission, Bishop Mike Okonkwo, has urged Nigerians not to support the presidential ambition of the former military dictator, Gen. Ibrahim Babangida. Okonkwo's call follows the path laid by Pastor Tunde Bakare of the Save Nigeria Group.

He advised IBB to forget the ambition. According to him, IBB ruled the nation for about eight years and played some unsavoury roles, especially in the annulment of June 12, 1993 election won by the late Chief MKO Abiola.

In a media briefing in Lagos on Saturday, Okonkwo who is a former Vice-Chairman, Christian Association of Nigeria and former President, Pentecostal Fellowship of Nigeria, said the Christian community had started mobilising against IBB‘s presidential ambition.

According to him, younger politicians should be encouraged and given chance to rule the nation, stating tghat it was the global trend.

He also said the removal of former Chairman, Independent National Electoral Commission, Prof. Maurice Iwu, would ensure the confidence of the electorate in the electoral process.

He added that the adoption of Mohammadu Uwais Electoral Reform Committee report would boost confidence in Nigeria‘s electoral process.

The bishop further said the Peoples Democratic Party, had failed to deliver the required dividends of democracy, saying he would not be surprised if the party disintegrated.

He added that Nigeria could record transparent and credible election if the right person was appointed to head the INEC.

Okonkwo said, ”Everybody knew from day one that PDP had been a marriage of strange individuals. The people are not in agreement. Forget about this big talk that ‘we are the biggest party in Africa‘. That is not relevant. When you look closely, you will see that they are not even in agreement. That is what is playing out. I would not be surprised if they finally disintegrated. The PDP has not done us any good. A system where they say that ‘once I pass the primaries, that guarantees my victory.’ You are telling Nigerians to their face that their votes do not count.

”The removal of Iwu will give people confidence to vote and they will vote without biases. If the Uwais’ report is implemented, obviously, I expect that the election will be credible. I do not see Phillip Umeadi as the chairman. He is just acting. I do not see him as the one that is going to be the next chairman. That will be the greatest mistake; to make him INEC chairman. They should get a fresh hand that will chair INEC.

”IBB should sit down. He has had his turn. He should sit down and advise the government and let the young people come up and do it. What else will he give us that others cannot give us? We are also aware of the role he played. People should not give him a chance. Anybody that endorses IBB is doing that because of what he can get and not that he really loves him. If he loves himself, he should honourably retire.”

twitterfacebook twitter google