In the most regrettable somersault of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), it has carried a complimentary story of one of Nigeria's most corrupt dicators, Ibrahim Babangida, on its magazine, where the government agency helped the dictator to launder his image and attempt to rewrite an history that Nigerians have continued to reject. The EFCC went to Babangida's  home - built on the foundation of corruption - to glorify instead of arrest him.

It is unusual for a government agency to publish a manazine, let alone interview former government officials and then give it to the media to rehash. But that is just what has happened. The EFCC, which its glorious days caused corrupt officials to go into hiding, is now writing glowing tributes to Babangida, who most believed has been the most corrupt Nigerian ever in a magazine ironically titled Zero Tolerance.

General Babangida had an opportunity to defend himself and present his case before the  Justice Oputa Truth Commission many years ago. Instead of doing that, he sued the panel in an attempt to stop Nigerians from learning the truth. His tactics since has been to find  willing and corrupt mass media through which he can feed his lies. The shock this time is that the medium is the agency of government that had tried to jail him in the past.

In the lame interview, the EFCC asked patronizing questions, allowing IBB to answer as he wished without making any rigorous attempt to hold him to the facts. The story comes to public attention just one day after the present administration of Goodluck Jonathan declared that it would not jail anyone for stealing money.

Among other falsehoods, Babangida claimed that he never stole public funds, although he could not explain how he built his multi-billion naira personal residence, which even the EFCC interviewer admitted was too beautiful to be constructed by a government official. Babangida just replied: "No, my friends contributed."

Excerpts from the interview...

You have a beautiful mansion here; anybody would like to live in this kind of house. We understand that it is a souvenir from a contractor

Whoever that contractor is, I think he should have gone to jail, to give this as a souvenir. I told you I was living in this environment before I became the president. I built a house here when I was Chief of Army Staff. If I open the window for you, you will see a very beautiful house just behind us, that is where I started and then kept on moving up to this place.

But you got this place after you left office?

I started building it in 1991, took 2 to 3years so that by the time I finished I would have a house to sleep in.

What is the value of the property?

Now, or then?

Now

I cannot estimate because it has appreciated.

Then

I know what my friends spent

Your friends built it for you?

No, my friends contributed.

You have good friends..

Yes I have

Were they your friends before you went into government?

They were friends before we came into government and friends while I was in government.

Of course, Nigerians are mad at the report. Here ae some comments on Nigerian websites:

Just poor journalism, no follow-up to unanswered questions. Looks more like another GEJ campaign trick. Why's the EFCC interviewing a corrupt dictator that should have been behind bars. True, he developed Abuja, because Lagos was unsafe for him after orkar attempt. Both IBB and GEJ made corruption a badge of honor in Nigeria. Also both are father of devaluation of the Naira.

Thanks jare. They went there to admire his mansion and make a mess of journalism. That's the level of education in Nigeria today compared with our golden years... go read a letter by one "Abuja Lawyer" who recently defected to APC from the PDP, or an article by one #Tunji Aboyomi, a supposed "doctor" in whatever yeye field he flaunts their certificate. IBB tore those fools apart and came out looking pretty and squeaky clean.

IBB is the father of corruption. Shouldn't he get a medal or something considering that's what Nigerians celebrate?

""You are not looking at the benchmark, what was the value of naira to the dollar then and what is it today?
When I left office, it was 22 naira to the dollar Now it is 162 and is not my making, I left it at 22, official rate.""
This is a kindergarten journalist , I do not care his age , he is indeed a very lazy one . Naira stated having problem with the economy been dug out of the hole when this cunning Wayo man was remote controlled by Western powers to take over.  Naira was stronger than Dollar before he took over, 1N to 1.5$ you could spend it outside Nigeria then . American felt threatened by the power of Naira , they ask this MUMU to take over and devalue Naira through SAP .
A good journalist would have dug this out and ask him the miracle he performed to torpedo a powerful currency .
The day before his devaluation , my friend brought out his 500 Naira , we bought a giant fridge , a color TV , a Stereo set and few other items , he still had change . The following day after devaluation that money will not buy one item . Such is the Devil that is calling himself a saint. What about political manipulation he did ? Where is the gulf oil fall,12.8 $billiion that he stole/ spent simultaneously with the budget. Professor Pius Okigbo ,a re known economist investigated him and confirmed that you stole money our bad leaders have been preventing the result from been released . Imagine Obasanjo saying the report is missing . This is not and interview at all . A kindergarten baby interviewing his teacher.

How I wish Orkar's coup succeeded!

What IBB did is now history which can never be reversed or erased. As it is, age is catching up on him and if he is a man of conscience, should be regreting all he did then; especially killing of innocent souls

Let him acquire the whole world and when he leaves this wolrd, he would be the most stupid in the world if he leaves those loot behind.

How has those loot made him different from his colleague- Buhari. It is not by material things you acquired but by peace of mind, satisfaction and contentment.

Today, people say good about his colleageu Buhari and as it stands, Nigerians would listen to Buhari and be associated with him than IBB.

IBB, we all know your crime and the history of this country will never forgive till eternity.

Knowing everything we know about the Maradona in Minna, it should not be surprising to us that he is supporting Dumbo. He doesn't want to go to jail in his old age, hence he backs Dumbo. Always the schemer. May God Bless Nigeria!

What is so funny about this man is the fact that he actually thinks he is smart or intelligent. Whereas he betrays his appalling ignorance thinking he is demonstrating intelligence. This is so clear when the interview moved away from standard questions he is always asked and for which he always has standard or prepared answers. He went from verbose to almost mono-syllabic answers to unfamiliar questions towards the end of the interview - evidence of a man totally lacking in personal creativity and imagination. Reason they steal our money. They have no initiative for legitimate personal wealth creation. Ole.

twitterfacebook twitter google